ABCs 4 SLPs: G is for Giveaways - Receptive Language Assessment Review and Giveaway
A little while back, I reviewed Splingo's Language Universe developed by The Speech and Language Store and fell in love with the adorable orange alien! The Speech and Language Store has now created a new application called Receptive Language Assessment which also features Splingo the alien! Screen students' receptive language skills, ability to follow directions, and understanding of prepositions with this one of a kind application! To hear more about this assessment and enter a giveaway to win the application, continue reading.
Prior to beginning the assessment, you must add a user profile. Press the "New Profile" button to add a user to the user profiles list. Then, type in the person's name and date of birth (via a scroll wheel) and press "Save". If you already have a profile set up, press the Existing Profiles folder.
There are four different settings on this page:
- Splingo's Celebrations - Turn Splingo the alien's animated and auditory celebrations on or off
- Spoken Instructions - Turn spoken instructions on or off via a toggle switch
- Language US - There is a toggle switch to change between US and UK English instructions and auditory directions. If the toggle switch is on, then US English will be used.
- Written Instructions - Turn written instructions on the screen on and off via a toggle switch
This will show a list of profiles already created on the application. It will show all of the names, dates of birth, and whether or not the assessment has been completed. You can click on a profile to view demographic information about a client, edit it by pressing the "Edit" button, and delete/add profiles as well.
Press the "i" button to view how to use the application, e-mail a blank report, learn who the application should be used by/with, e-mail the developers with questions, and follow The Speech and Language Store on social media.
Using the Assessment
First, choose a student who you are going to assess on the Existing Profiles menu. Press the "Start New Assessment" button to begin the assessment. Then, choose the assessment location and date. You can then choose between four different levels.
- Level 1 - 1 main word; object nouns, person nouns, location nouns, prepositions, and adjectives
- Level 2 - 2 main words; 2 different sentence types (e.g. object-person, adjective-object, etc.)
- Level 3 - 3 main words; 7 different sentence types (e.g. adjective-object-location, person-action-location, etc.)
- Level 4 - 4 main words; 7 different sentence types (e.g. object-preposition-adjective-location, person-action-preposition-location, etc.)
Students can also run a demo of the application by pressing the "Demo" button. This allows students to practice pressing, holding, and dragging objects to the correct locations and reminds students to drag objects directly to the arrows. It allows for a demo of three items and shows Splingo's Celebrations.
Press "Start" to begin the assessment once you have chosen a level. This is only the starting level for the assessment; it will keep going until the assessment has been completed. Then, the application will show 2 or more objects depending on the direction on the screen and give a direction to follow. Directions will be stated aloud or shown via text depending on the settings you chose. Then, have the student follow the directions on the application.
When the application is done, it will bring you to the report. You can look at the overview of the assessment or click on a word level completed to see each direction given along with the response and whether it was correct/incorrect. You will see the percentage correct as well as for each level completed. You can then e-mail the completed report by pressing the "E-mail Report" button. If you cannot complete an assessment at the given time, press the "Pause" button and progress will be saved to complete later.
What I Like About This Application:
- Due to the fact that the assessment takes quite a bit to administer, it is great that you can save progress to complete at another time.
- It is wonderful that you can save multiple profiles so that you can administer the assessment to multiple students.
- Between the time I first used the application and now, they have tweaked the touchiness and ability to fix errors in the application. Great update!
- The images are similar throughout the application and are easy to understand.
- I love that students can demo the application before using it so that they understand how to move the objects and follow directions on the application.
What I Would Like to See in Future Updates:
- Some of the white text gets in the way of the images from time to time and every once in a while an image to be moved gets stuck. These are minor bugs that may need to be looked into.
- I am not sure if it was just me, but I could not hear audio on the "Demo" of the application.
Receptive Language Assessment is available for the iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad for $24.99.
Consonantly Speaking was given a copy of the application to give away with this review. No other form of compensation was given.
Be aware that this assessment is a screening tool and not a standardized assessment.
Enter below for your chance to win a copy of this application!