ABCs 4 SLPs: G is for Giveaways - Sly Speech Apps Review and Sly S & Z Giveaway
When I was a child, I had a Beanie Baby named Sly the fox that was one of my favorites! So when I saw Sly Speech Apps with an adorable, orange fox as their logo, I was very excited! I contacted Sly Speech Apps who was generous enough to donate a code for their Sly S & Z app to give away! The Sly SLP apps have images, words, sentences, and audio for each word within the application, plus, allow for scores to be e-mailed. Continue reading for my review of the Sly SLP application and a giveaway of the Sly S & Z app!
First, choose a speech sound card deck from the following to work on a phoneme: /f/, /v/, /t/, /d/, /p/, /b/, /s/, /z/, /l/, /r/, /k/, /g/, /ch/, /sh/, /th/, l-blends, r-blends, and s-blends. Then, choose the Deck Level (position of the word) to work on the sound between Initial, Medial, and Final positions of words. Additional settings, found by pressing the "Additional Settings" button, include turning the sound on/off, typing in a students' name of whom you are using the app with, and typing in the e-mail address you would like to send reports to. Once you have chosen the sound, position, and settings, press "Continue" to begin application play.
There are three other buttons at the top of the application to learn more about the application/developer. You can visit the developer's website, contact the developer via e-mail, or learn more about the application/developer by pressing the corresponding buttons at the top of the page.
Images will appear in the middle of the screen with the speech sound chosen in the word. For the student to hear the word narrated aloud, press the image. There is also a sentence with the word shown at the bottom. If the student correctly states the word, press the green check mark. If not, press the red "x" button. You can swipe across the screen to advance to the next word or it will automatically advance when you score the word. Once the student has completed all of the cards, a percentage of accuracy and fraction of correct/incorrect words will appear. You can then e-mail results by pressing the "E-mail Results" button.
What I Like About This Application:
- The fact that there is audio along with the words so that students can hear the word produced correctly is great!
- There are sentences available for students to practice with the word to be practiced within it.
- It is great that the application has scoring on it and the ability to send results via e-mail. This saves time in recording data elsewhere.
What I Would Like to See in Future Updates:
- I would like to see a little bit better quality of images because many of them are pixelated.
- The words and sentences are written in all caps. I would like to see these written in sentence form with a capital at the beginning, period at the end, and the rest of the letters in lowercase so that they are easier to read. It might also be a good idea to have the words and sentences separate as another option.
- I say this with a lot of apps, but I always would love more words/pictures to practice with students!
- It would be great to be able to save student profiles, scores, and specific word errors on the application. I know this takes a lot programming-wise, but it is definitely appreciated and saves time for SLPs!
- It would also be great if students could work on more than one speech sound at a time, in more than one position of words, and have more than one student be able to use the application at the time.
- Articulation - Choose the speech sound and position of the word that the child needs to work on. Then, have the student practice words at his or her level (words or sentences).
- Receptive Language - Students will see a picture of a word as well as a sentence using the word. This helps in learning vocabulary. Students can also describe the different words/images (color, size, shape, where you see it, how it is used, etc.).
- Expressive Language - Have students create new sentences using the words on the application.
Sly SLP is available for the iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad for $29.99. Sly S & Z is available for the iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad for $3.99. Sly Speech Apps also has a free application available for the iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad called Sly F & V.
Consonantly Speaking was given a code for Sly S & Z to give away with this review. Consonantly Speaking was given a copy of Sly SLP to review. No other form of compensation was given.
Enter the Rafflecopter below for your chance to win a copy of Sly S & Z!