ABCs 4 SLPs: G is for Giveaways - SpeechPage Product Reviews and Giveaways
Throughout graduate school, I made sure to take note of all of the speech-language pathology product retailers for when I would become a speech-language pathologist and have to order my own materials. One website that creates and sells products for speech-language pathologists is SpeechPage.com. SpeechPage creates pages using graphics, thick laminated pages, velcro, binders, dry erase markers, and more! These are all created by a certified speech-language pathologist named Don D'Amore, M.A. CCC-SLP. Activities in which they sell include AAC boards, visual schedules, articulation/minimal pair page activities, WH question lists, talking topics, grammar pages, multiple step direction activities, life skills pages, concept pages, and bundles of their activities! Consonantly Speaking was given three different products to review and giveaway (600 Different WH-Type Questions, Language Listening to Multi Steps 4C, and Interactive Prepositions), so continue reading for reviews and giveaways of each of these three products!
600 Different WH-Type Questions! (Item #LWHQ6A01) - $15.97
600 Different WH-Type Questions contains six laminated, three-hole punched binder pages which each contain 100 questions from the following types:
These pages are helpful for when you are working on WH-questions with a client. Flip between the pages to ask different types of WH-questions or stay on one page to ask multiple WH-questions. You will certainly not run out of questions to ask in therapy if you bring these lists along! They are great for children who are working on WH-questions, people with aphasia working on WH-questions, receptive language, practicing question sentence structure, pragmatic language (having people ask each other questions), and more! This is a great, light-weight, take-along product for WH-questions in which you won't need to take anything else with you! SpeechPage.com has already done all of the work for you in coming up with WH-questions so that you won't have to think of any off of the top of your head!
Language Listening to Multi Steps 4C (Item #BRLLMS4C) - $22.99
Language Listening to Multi Steps comes with four different laminated boards with velcro pieces. It also comes with sample multi-step direction prompts with 3-step, 4-step, and multi-step direction sample prompts. SpeechPages.com recommends that the therapist first confirms that the "client is familiar with all of the vocabulary on the SpeechPages". Each of the included boards is related to adding toppings onto a food-type. There is usually a bottom and top to each food and velcro in the middle to place the different toppings on. There is also velcro on the side to hold each of the picture squares when not in use. Each of the pictures has a text label as well. The four boards include:
- Burger Toppings! - Contains two ketchup, two pickle, two onion, one mayonnaise, one mustard, one cheese, one lettuce, one tomato, and one bacon picture square.
- Ice Cream Toppings! - Contains two chocolate ice cream, two vanilla ice cream, one strawberry ice cream, one chocolate syrup, one jellybeans, one cookie crumbs, one chocolate chips, and one whipped cream picture square.
- Sandwich Toppings! - Contains one onion, one pickle, one mayonnaise, one mustard, one peanut butter, one jelly, one lettuce, one tomato, one tuna, one bologna, and one cheese picture square.
- Salad Toppings! - Contains one celery, one onion, one ranch dressing, one Italian dressing, one cheese, one tomato, one carrot, one pepper, one cucumbers, and one croutons picture square.
Some examples of directions to give to a person using these SpeechPages include "put ketchup, pickle, & onion on the burger", "put the whipped cream in between the chocolate and vanilla ice cream", and "put on the salad no tomato but pepper and croutons". These pages are great not only for following multiple step directions, but for life skills such as following a recipe/creating a type of food, fine motor skills, receptive language (learning/describing different toppings), expressive language (explaining the steps to create a sandwich), pragmatic language (talking about your favorite toppings), and more! These pages are also three-hole-punched and light-weight so you can take them with you on the go! SpeechPages also states that this product is not intended for children under 3 years of age due to small parts being a choking hazard.
Interactive Prepositions - Fun Scenes Around Us! 4D (#LCPI4D) - $21.96
Interactive Prepositions - Fun Scenes Around Us includes four different scenes with various pictures of associated vocabulary velcroed on the side. There are also velcro dots placed in various positions on each scene with slits in the scene nearby as well. Scenes include:
- At the Zoo! - Contains water bottle, camera, ice cream cone, popcorn, and security guard images on squares to place on the scene. There are velcro dots and/or slits nearby a trash can, polar bear, giraffe, zoo entrance, bench, ice cream stand, branch with a parrot, and brick wall.
- At the Circus! - Contains peanuts, clown, cotton candy, pinwheel, and binoculars images on squares to place on the scene. There are also velcro dots and/or slits nearby a tiger, ring, tight rope walker, tent, elephant, megaphone, and entertainer.
- At the Carnival! - Contains ticket, teddy bear, soda, girl, and boy images on squares to place on the scene. There are velcro dots and/or slits nearby a carousel, ticket booth, ball toss, fun house, balloon, and balloon castle.
- At the Pool! - Contains goggles, towel, sunscreen, sunglasses, and hamburger images on squares to place on the scene. There are velcro dots and/or slits nearby a lifeguard chair, diving board, inner-tube, pool, water slide, chairs, snack shack, and gate.
Pictures can be placed into the slits or onto the velcro dots. Slits and dots are placed throughout scenes next to, under, in front of, on top of, between, behind, etc. different images. This allows the therapist to give directions of where to place the object squares. The pack comes with another page with a "Helper Area" on one half and possible usage suggestions for clinicians on the other half up-side down. This allows the clinician to place the "Helper Area" visual in front of the child while he or she can read the suggestions side if needed. The "Helper Area" shows images of various prepositions (in, on, beside, between, front, behind, under, over, up, and down) showcased by a box and ball to help students understand the concepts so that they are able to use the same concepts on the interactive pages.
You can use the Interactive Prepositions pages to discuss vocabulary related to a particular scene/place, what to do at the place shown, what a students' favorite place is, and what type of food a child gets at the given place. In regards to prepositions, one can place the objects on the board ahead of time and ask a student where each one is in comparison to another ("where is the ice cream cone?") or have a student place a picture card on the board by giving a direction with a preposition ("put the ice cream cone in the ice cream cart"). This activity is great for both receptive and expressive language skills as well as fine motor skills. These pages are also three-hole-punched and light-weight so you can take them with you on the go! Once again, SpeechPages also states that this product is not intended for children under 3 years of age due to small parts being a choking hazard.
What I Like About SpeechPages:
- SpeechPages use a heavy laminant (better than the kind I use at my school) which allows them to be used over and over again in speech activities!
- Laminant is easy to write on with dry erase marker for teaching various concepts, writing notes, or crossing out examples/directions already used. To erase, just wipe off with a cloth!
- Many of the SpeechPages use velcro which allows for the scenes/pages to be interactive and more related to real-life skills. The small pictures allow for use of fine motor skills as well since one must use pinching to pick up and move them to different velcro spots on boards.
- Most of the SpeechPages are three-hole-punched which is great for placing in a binder to bring from session to session. They are compact, light-weight, and easy to carry around.
- SpeechPages often come with therapy suggestions, visuals, and samples of possible questions/directions/statements which make it easy on the therapist.
Activities I Would Like to See in the Future:
- More following directions items
- Sequencing stories/events/recipes
- Categorization skills
- Articulation word/sentence lists
Consonantly Speaking was given a copy of the 600 Different WH-Type Questions, Language Listening to Multi Steps 4C, and Interactive Prepositions - Fun Scenes Around Us! 4D SpeechPages to review and give away. No other form of compensation was given.
Enter the giveaways below for your chance to win a copy of one set of SpeechPages!